I am so excited to confirm that our new extended dining room has gone LIVE!!!! Last Monday, we welcomed our residents and members of staff into the new eating space and all the feedback we have had has been very positive, in fact they have exceeded my expectations!. The colour is “perfect taupe, delicate veil and mustard” so the tone is warm, welcoming and very homely. We have brand new chairs which match the roman blinds with an easy to wipe base for infection control.
From a practical point of view, the food is now presented and kept warm in a bain-marie so that all residents can see the food as they walk in. From a cognitive point of view, this is key as it will invite them to eat and drink more. Posters of food and drinks will also serve the same purpose – those will be fitted next week. All dirty dishes will then return via the “dirty hatch” to reduce the noise and people walking around while we are eating. Also, the dirty hatch delivers the dishes straight into the dishwasher area which is great from a hygiene point of view.
The area is at least twice as big as the space we had before. The area is bigger, brighter with natural light from 2 electric veluxes which allows a healthy air flow. We had a fire training session using the space and all trainees were able to social distance which was great and safe.
For those who have recently joined the Harbour Rise family, the delivery of the dining room completes a huge phase of remodelling which we have completed over the last 18 months. Improvements consists of:
• a new lift to the basement floor: we removed the stairlift going downstairs which is much safer. The lift is ideal for wheelchair access too.
• a new Meds room providing a private room for medical visits and of course a safe place to store and dispense the meds.
• a disabled toilet opposite the residents’ lounge – this has been a huge improvement for those with reduced mobility as we don’t need to use the disable toilet at the back of the home.
• a new toilet near the residents’ lounge.
• complete renovation of the commercial kitchen with induction hob, hooded dishwasher and Rational steam oven, commercial Altro floor throughout and cladding on all walls. We have also had an extractor system fitted which enhances working conditions in the kitchen: it is cooler and the air circulates and is then refreshed.
• A renovation of a third toilet on the ground floor by the dining room.
My only regret is that we can’t invite you to see it all just yet so I will display videos and pictures on our website. Please do take a look at it and send me feedback!!